Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Compelled to Write




I've always felt compelled to write, ever since I was a little girl. Initially, perhaps, I was compelled by my parents. They mandated quiet time on Sunday afternoons for all the children to write in their journals. It was tradition for each child to receive a brand new beautiful journal on his/her 4th birthday. During the quiet writing time, we would draw pictures in the journals, and then spend time with Mom or Dad, providing narration to accompany the pictures. It was clear from the start that I was no artist, so the narratives have proven absolutely invaluable!

As we grew older, of course, we began writing our own stories - spelling and grammar errors and all. In my younger years, at least half of my letters were backwards.

Although we sometimes (often) complained about this journal-writing tradition, it is one that has stuck with me throughout my life - and it has proven to be an amazing blessing in so many ways. First, because, as I've gotten older, memories have faded. I often say that my brain is like a sieve - full of holes through which memories and information leak out indiscriminately. As I read through my many journals, I'm amazed at the sheer volume of experiences I've had and completely forgotten. Also amusing is the number of experiences that I remember completely wrong!

Second, re-reading my journals in my adult life has allowed me to recognize patterns in my own behaviors. But not just patterns - changes also. As I go through the mundane day-to-day activities, growth is sometimes so gradual that it's imperceptible. But reading through past experiences really helps me to get a better understanding of the general trajectory of my life. And overall, I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised!

Third, life is really hard sometimes and there are definitely moments when I fell isolated from others and isolated even from God. But looking through my narratives of previous challenges, I can hold on to the fact that God has helped me through them. That He had a plan all along, even when I couldn't see it right off the bat. It gives me hope and strength to keep on keeping on.

And so, I thought I'd start a blog and share some of my experiences and random thoughts in cyberspace. I don't have any great theme or focus - just a compulsion to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment