Sunday, March 11, 2012

Who I Want to Be

A few days ago, I went to visit my grandmother in the hospital. She was awaiting surgery to amputate one of her legs. When I arrived, she was lying in the bed dozing. She had just received pain medication and it seemed to be helping. She roused herself and we started to talk, but it was clear that the medication was having the anticipated effect both on her pain and on her mental capacity. She was groggy and not altogether with it. Nonetheless, or maybe because of it, I was very impressed. She kept talking about how blessed she felt, how loved by God. She also kept talking about how proud she is of us and of her own kids. She kept saying how my dad did such a good job raising us. Her face shone with a beatific smile.

I know (and have experienced myself) the kinds of behaviors and inflammatory reactions that can come in the face of a scary and lifechanging event (like the amputation of a limb) and particularly when inhibitions are removed through the administration of pain killers. But I was impressed that when Grandma’s inhibitions were removed, what came shining through was her profound love of God and her deep devotion to Him. Her true eternal beauty was so evident.
I hope that when I am faced with challenges and pain I can react with similar fortitude, gratitude, and humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment